Sunday, December 12, 2004

Sunday Paper

This weekend had its fair share of interesting things, things that could make great extended blog-fodder. This included:

-The Drag Show at Ringside my Japanese friends wanted to go to, and were equal parts agog and pleased by,

-The great benefit concert put on for the Palestinian town of Tuwani,

-The birthday potluck that on arriving I came to discover was Incredible Hulk themed, but where everyone suddenly and unexpectedly pulled out instruments. This, only to find that three banjos, three guitars, three fiddles, a harmonica and bathtub bass later, that I was square dancing.


...
But, none of these appealed to my larger bloggish affections. For none of them made me feel quite as good as my discovery of a brand new art supply shop - in downtown Durham- that carries good paper.

Although this web-log is called the Paper Boat, the only thing I talk about less than boats is probably paper. One reason for this might be that I’ve been disappointed in universe of paper offering around here. There is a good shop in Raleigh, I hear, but that’s a trek. and the shops in Durham and Chapel Hill have all consistently disappointed. Mind you-me, I know absolutely nothing about paper as a technical art or craft. I just know what I like, and what I think inked blocks will print well on.

And so, I was glad to be the first customer of Main Street Art supply.
The Very First.
I wanted it for projects this weekend, and Christa and Sam went through their piles of inventory, opening all the shipment boxes hither-thither. Among all their wares were in fact many stacks of fine paper. My fingers browsed. Fingers feel lighter when they hold things like paper. They also make sounds that find no articulation or even existence otherwise except upon the moment the shifting of hands move along the wide, thin blankets of possibility that paper is.



Poets write on paper. But how often to they write about it?
The range of descriptors that sommeliers use for wine I would imagine could apply equally to the world of paper. Christa knew her stock, and together we oo-ed over the different kinds and their qualities of heft, hue, and transparency.



Of paper, more than plenty of it was worth buying for use in some experiments of ink and attention. I left with the following. None disappointed today when Ink kissed Surface…

Frankfurt Cream
Arches Rives (125g/sq.meter)
Somerset Book Softwhite
Johannot

Hosho

Blood may be thicker than water,
but Paper, it is thinner than all the spaces Inbetween.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home