Wednesday, October 27, 2004

State of Affairs; Affairs of State; State Fairs

And only six days until everything unwinds a bit. or maybe a bit more. How can’t the election have us on pins and needles? and then more needles still. Some acupuncture of the body politic.

I know one thing certain, I am sick of polls. I polled myself today on this very question and found that 47.5% of myself was thoroughly sick of polling. But with the 3% margin of error, I suppose it’s a “statistical dead heat.” (What kind of term is this?)
...................................statistics. death. heat.................................
I’m definitely sick of this. If you aren’t however, I highly recommend a site, not for the information so much as for the presentation: electoral-vote.com gives a animated map of just how the polls have predicted what state is going which-whenever way over the last six months. It is like watching the flashing bulbs of a troubled Christmas tree. it is like the oracle of our collective knowledge of knowing nothing very much at all. About ourselves, sure. And most of all, about the electoral college.

...
But thankfully one can move from Affairs of State ----> to State Fairs. And the North Carolina State Fair more specifically. Cousin K., L., and I headed out on the historically busiest day—the Saturday before the gig is up. I was glad to find L. was as excited about seeing the fancy poultry as I was. Usually B. has been the one to share this enthusiasm with me. The fact that my cousin’s girlfriend also couldn’t wait to look at the guinea hens could only warm me to her.

and then the goats...


and then the hogs...


..and then the sense of peaceable kingdom if ever a kingdom might exist. If ever the sense to be peaceable might build a kingdom of its own (let’s break the ground right here, shall we...)


And there was so much to take in down the Midway. I saw the biggest pumpkin in the state (740.56 lbs.) and a selection of the award winning pickled beans.


As for the food, the “Bloomin’ Onion” was a little too raw this year, but the fries were right-on. They fell off the small gingham paper dish like fat petals off a finishing flower. it was perfect. Maybe their heavy calories contributed to the Professional Guesser guessing cousin K’s weight 15 pounds short? Either way, it got him an inflatable “Finding Nemo” doll. Missing 2 out of three at the pitching game on the Midway got me, however, nothing at all. But remember the Marine chin-up bar I mentioned from the Greeley fair in July many posts ago? (Passing time in a thinner air). Well the Marines were at the NC fair as well. Semper Fi - do or die, L. hung for 70 seconds and won that CD carrying case for Cousin K’s car.


Most importantly, the rides all shone bright. the Zipper zipped. It is a giant YKK on speed.


The roller coasters coasted as if on cresting waves of black air, even if the thin rails were there as pretense.



And finally, what of the "State of Affairs"?
I report Decidedly Autumn.
In my room, it is orange. In my room I was changing. but I’m always changing. but I mean colors changing. not of the season so much as of the day. I was changing, you see. my clothes. and at 6pm this means a corner of this room might catch fire with fall sunset. By chance one sock on; one off; and there is conflagration.

On my body the light was burning hotter than the heat. no statistics. no death. just heat. good old equinox heat. And this light cast shadows off from random wire figures. Piled in a chinese take-out box on the shelf. Faces and hands warmed themselves.

...
So what the hell can be worried for? Affairs of State. changes of state. whatever. Whatever end comes to our emerald votes and this state of affairs, fellow citizens, there is always Sublimation. As a matter of last resort, if this chunk of ice finally gets too cold, please don’t simply melt. rather V a p o r i z e.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home